Firewall iP v2.0 – The Only iOS Firewall Tweak Gets Even BetterMonsta'd on February 17th, 2011
Firewall iP, the only Firewall [security] tweak/hack/app available for the iPhone & iOS, just got an upgrade to version 2.0, and it's pretty awesome. Firewall iP allows you to block outgoing connections (TCP & UDP) on your iPhone, iPod, or iPad. It hooks into every application and process running on your iPhone and will alert you when an app or another Cydia tweak is attempting to establish a connection to an outside, third-party host. You'll see the hostname and will have quite a few options -- to allow or deny the connection once, or always -- or to allow, deny all connections for that specific application. Port specific blocking and Whois information look-up is even included for the hardcore security crowd. If you're using a Mac and have something like LittleSnitch installed, then you get the idea behind Firewall iP.
The full feature list is pretty in-depth:
- Block outgoing TCP & UDP connections selectively
- Shows you the hostname for the connection & can provide you with WhoIs information
- Block connections of apps when you are on a cellular network
- Block analytic providers / data collectors which PrivaCy can’t
- Block unneeded content
- full IPv6 support (be advised that many Internet Service Providers don’t even support IPv6 yet, so if you aren’t able to access a IPv6 only server, it’s not FiP’s fault )
- all new rules are being saved with date and time. Now you can look up which rules you created last
- totally new way of showing the popup.
- redesigned popup
- Option to have the Deny Tab in front (Settings in the GUI)
- a field on the PoPup which shows the url (TCP) or the data packet (UDP) (if possible)
- if the hostname has more than 2 parts (more than xyz.com), when you tap on the selector for “normal, *, and *.” you’ll be able to select parts of the hostname the rule will apply to
- Option to Import/Export FiP settings (one file) so you can easily backup your stuff (Settings in the GUI)
- support for port ranges
- many other enhancements and fixes
- GameCenter support: added support for the game center daemon (a process which runs in the background). You’ll have to REBOOT your device after installation to enable this (Saurik will fix that in a future MobileSubstrate update). IMPORTANT: because game center is actually an own progress which runs in the background and starts running when a game needs it, rules applied to the Game Center Daemon will affect all apps. You can use allow/deny (all) session to make changes for every game.
Being the only firewall software/app/tweak available for the iPhone, it would be easy for Firewall iP to be a crappy application, simply because there are no competing hacks around. But that's certainly not the case here, Firewall iP is a game-changer, and should be installed on your iPhone or other iOS device if you're a security-minded guy or gal.
Firewall iP v2.0 has been tested to work on all iPhones, iPods & iPads running firmwares 3.0 thru 4.2.x and is available in the Cydia Store for a cool $2.99.