How To: Completely Hide Certain Pictures On Your iPhoneMonsta'd on October 29th, 2010
So you want to hide some pictures on your iPhone? Well we're going to tell you how. There are probably some apps out there that can do this, but this is our way. You'll need to have your iPhone jailbroken, with OpenSSH installed. Once you're ready to rock, you can do this on your computer with an FTP client, or directly on your iPhone with iFile.
What we're going to do is grab a few photos out of your DCIM/100APPLE folder, and move them to another folder in the backend of your iPhone, which you'll create. The end result will be that the photos still exist, but they're "hidden" on your iPhone, accessible only to you, and nowhere near your Photo Library/Camera app. Please keep in mind that the words "directory" and "folder" are interchangeable here. (These steps below assume you've installed OpenSSH and have SSH'ed into your iPhone, and into the var/mobile/Media directory. There are some links above if you need them.) Let's do it.
- Create a new directory on your iPhone. This directory can really be anywhere, but try to avoid putting it in a "system-ish" folder. Basically, you shouldn't store this folder in an Application's folder, or in your iPhone's root directory. Since we're already in /var/mobile/Media for this tutorial, the /Media directory will do just fine. (You can always move the folder later if you change your mind.) (That rhymed.)
- Go into your /var/mobile/Media/DCIM/100APPLE folder and find the photos you want to "hide".
- If you're using iFile on your iPhone to do this, select and copy (don't delete) the photos you want to hide from your 100APPLE folder, navigate to your newly created directory, and paste them into there. If you're using an FTP client on your computer to do this, you'll probably have to download the photos, then re-upload them to your newly created directory.
- Go into your Camera app, on your iPhone, and delete the photos that you just successfully copied to that other directory, like you normally would.
- You have successfully hidden some secret pictures on your iPhone. They're still there, but they don't exist as far as your Photo library or Camera app's concerned. To get to them, you'll need to use a file browsing utility like iFile, (Which you should already have installed anyways.)
If you have any questions, drop them below!